Ahem. It's been a while. If it wasn't for Chicken 'n Waffles tagging me (weeks ago), the old blog would still be shrouded in a veil of dust. But tagged me she did, and because she is who she is, I have no choice but to play. So here, in all their glorious tardiness, are 8 facts about me.
1. I was born almost 11 weeks premature, which, for the early 70s, was quite something. I weighed less than 2lb at birth, and they all thought I would snuff it. Hence my name. My dad's name is Denis, and my mom's name is Brenda. So I am Denise Brenda, bestowed upon me during some hasty last rites. I was supposed to be Gabrielle, or something like that. God, I can't even imagine being a Gabrielle.
2. I am left handed, and after a few months of being dragged around Europe in a VW station wagon, I returned to school and couldn't remember what hand I wrote with (I had only recently learned to write, really). Because I was so very shy and concerned about how I was being perceived by others, I just followed the other kids, and used my right hand extremely uselessly, until my concerned teacher (Mrs Comaroff, I will never forget you) took it upon herself to investigate further. A simple conversation with my mother revealed that I had in fact been trying to write with the wrong hand for the greater part of two school weeks.
3. I am a compulsive neat freak. I won't sleep if the dishes aren't done, if the bathroom sink is surrounded by puddles of water, or even if the closet door is open. I'm pretty sure there's some medication for this, but for now I'm managing it without chemical intervention. Give me 10 years, though.
4. I did my Bachelor's Degree in Social Work, and after many years of being in marketing, I am going back to school this fall to get my Masters Degree in Clinical Psychology with an emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy. Have I lost my mind?
5. Speaking of marriage, I am GETTING MARRIED. In April or May of next year, but the actual date has yet to be determined, thanks to two sets of far-flung families that we are trying to coordinate with.And a school schedule. Yes, I have really lost my mind.
(See? It pays to not blog for a while. For the first time in many moons, I feel as as if I have something to say. )
6. I took piano lessons for most of my life until I was in college and was pretty into it. I played a lot on my last trip to South Africa, and I would do anything to figure out an affordable way to get that piano across the oceans and back in my possession. But first I need to find a place to live that would accommodate it.
7. I'm not much into sports on TV. Except tennis. Every year at around this time I am glued to the French Open and Wimbledon. I LOVE tennis on TV (and gymnastics and ice skating) and will watch any match with gusto. I have also always wanted to be very good at Tennis, so David and I have been playing every Saturday morning and I am loving it.
8. I love all fruit and vegetables, but I simply can't eat watermelon. I have no idea why. I love the concept but just thinking about it makes me gag.